Friday, March 31, 2006

Today in the life of KTreva

Two weeks....I have been on my job for two weeks now. So far I have managed to update everything that needed it, write several new memos, and overall clean up most of the mess that was left me.

Today was my true test however....today I had to facilitate two meetings with all of our departments. I was naturally nervous, as I usually am the first time I have to do something like this. The first meeting went well...it was scheduled for an hour, but I managed to do all of it in 30 minutes. I made sure I was speaking slowly (when I get nervous I tend to talk REALLY fast) and clearly, but I paced. A LOT.

Since my husband had to be in this meeting I asked him for honest feedback, he told me about the pacing, and I made a note that yes, he was absolutely correct. The second meeting went better than the first. I again spoke slowly and clearly and this time I didn't pace...well, not as much anyway :) This meeting was also scheduled for an hour, but it was over in 40 minutes.

The feedback that I got from this was this:

"I love the way you didn't read the memo's to us!"
"It was written in a manner that I could understand!"
"I think we're gonna do great with you in this position!"

Normally I only want feedback when I do something wrong, however since I was changing the format of the meetings and the memo's, and usually change is not something that is exactly embraced where I work, I needed to know what I did right. Knock on wood, but I think I'm gonna be OK.

The next few weeks will be a real test. I begin a training class on Monday that will not end until May 12th. I will be required to assist with that WHILE doing the rest of my daily duties. I think if I can weather this, I'll do just fine :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir Christopher said...

I understand the pacing thing and talking to fast. When I write out my scripts for the speeches and briefs that I do I actually write out 5 minute markers on my paper so I don't get through things to fast.

Good Job by the way!

Word verification: ldybugg

11:37 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

Outstanding.

I knew you'd knock their socks off!!!!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home