Friday, March 03, 2006

Results

When I woke up this morning, I dressed in a black suit with a baby blue shirt, did my hair put on make up (I don't do that every day, too time consuming) and wore my best perfume. I donned one of my favorite necklaces with matching earrings and viewed myself in the mirror. I looked pretty good.

Once I arrived at work I had a 7:30 A.M. meeting, which lasted an hour, then I started shaking. Only 30 minutes til my interview....must....remain...calm! I did some deep breathing exercises, had a friend of mine adjust my collar on my shirt, and went outside to smoke a cigarette. This was as good as I was going to get. I had originally planned on putting together a handout to give to the interviewers, but it seems that this is the trend where I work now, and they expect the handout to do the work for them. I dared to be different and didn't make a handout, and decided I was going to sell myself through my body language and questions they might ask me.

The very first question they asked me was "tell me a bit about yourself". This was my opening. I began speaking and the flood gates opened. I proceeded to tell them all about myself and my history with the company, everything that I had done, and everything that I had learned. As I spoke I could see that I was making quite an impression. The interviewers try to write down everything that you say, so I spoke clearly and slowly, with only minimal pauses in order to give the second interviewer time to take down everything that I was saying. I even got to throw in that I am a Subject Matter Expert. The entire interview lasted for nearly an hour and I answered most of their questions before they had asked them in my opening statement. I have been given an "assignment" to work on and prepare for Monday morning at 10:15 A.M.

I will be spending most of the day on Sunday getting this together. I was told to use "any and all resources available to you", so after researching the subject in our corporate documents, I also sat with one of the employees that utilizes this knowledge to see exactly what it is and how it works. She was extremely helpful, and I am pretty confident I have a working knowledge of how this works, and will be able to produce an excellent presentation describing what it is, how it works and the advantages and disadvantages of the process, which are all requirements.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I felt pretty good about the entire process. I have tried to keep in mind that whether or not I get this position, it is all up to me and how I present myself and my knowledge. I know I can do the job, but it's convincing others that counts in this case. I should know the results by next Friday and will keep my readers posted.

10 Comments:

Blogger littlejoe said...

I knew you would kick ass K., considering you know the job back and forth already and seem to be the only real problem solver in your department. Good job, and don't sweat monday, you've got this bitch locked down tight...yo.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Richmond said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

8:18 AM  
Blogger TalulaZephyr said...

Good luck, GF! Be thinking of you!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

I KNEW IT!!! I knew you'd do great. And this presentation? You've done the homework, just put it out there.

I'm very proud of you. And keeping fingers and toes crossed.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

WooHoo!

fingers crossed for Monday!

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sacrifices filing cabinet to appease business gods*

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers still crossed, but damn girl they are getting crampy!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work.

You wouldn't happen to have a pictur of you in that suit, wouldya? I love a girl in a sharp suit.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ogre said...

Yay!

And yes, where's the pictures? ;)

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeeze you got the whole weekend to prepare? I feel robbed :P heh

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home