Monday, February 27, 2006

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission

Pretty much everyday I hear my husband give relationship advice to others. He always tells them "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission". I usually roll my eyes dramatically or something of the like. Well last night, he proved that it's not just relationship advise he gives to others!

He, our blogless buddy Jay and Graumaugus had made plans to go to a gun show yesterday. Jay was supposed to show up between 9:30 and 10 am, and they were going to head off to the show and Grau was going to meet them there. At about 8:30 my darling non advice taking husband decided he needed to kill some French before he went. I advised him that Jay would be here in about an hour, and that he might want to wait on the mass murder. "I'm only going to play a skirmish" he announced, to which I responded "But your skirmishes usually take two hours!" Disregarding me as "talking again" he proceeded to massacre the French with gusto. Jay showed up at 9:30, so as you can imagine he did not get to complete his annihilation, so he saved it and headed off. I of course made sure to tell him "I TOLD YOU SO!" What kind of wife would I be if I didn't?

A few hours later he calls to tell me that the gun show was "whelming" and that they were headed off to Hooters for some hot wings and beer. I didn't think much of it and continued about my business. Now is the fun part. He calls again after a few more hours to announce that "we are about to be invaded and prepare for company" ACK! I haven't even bathed yet today! Taking Clone upstairs with me I quick jump in the bath and race around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to make myself, the boy and the house presentable. I finished just in time for Grau to knock on my door. WHEW!

We chat for a bit and then my hubby arrives home a bit drunk, er...Rather A LOT drunk! Apparently Jay had to leave, so this invasion he called to warn me about is just Grau. If I had known that I wouldn't have freaked out so bad! Eh, whatever, at least it's done now, and less for me to do later and now I can enjoy the company. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I took it that they were going to come over to drink and chat, and just generally have some fun, but then comes the announcement that "They were leaving to go drink some more". I told him he would not be driving and stole his keys.

Grau offered to drive, so off they go to a bar down the street. When Contagion arrived home at around 10:30 pm, he barely made it in the door. I was busy upstairs putting laundry away and figured he'd make it up eventually, it's not like I can help him, and 130 pounds soaking wet, and although he is a dead sexy man, he's not exactly skin and bones. One of us *cough* me *cough* would more than likely get hurt. He makes it up the stairs, stumbles into the bedroom and shouts "HEY BABY! I'M HOME!" After shushing him because the kids are in bed, he stage whispers "thorry, I dinna think I's that loud" It's a good thing I speak drunkenese.

He proceeds to tell me about the evening, slurring and swaying...he eyes are all red and he occasionally grabs onto something to stop the room from spinning. Now I'll admit I was a bit irritated, not because he went out and came home extremely inebriated but because I ran through the house doing the Flight of the Bumblebee cleaning rampage based on his call regarding the invasion, only to have them leave again. He could have told me that when he originally called, then I wouldn't have worried so much about it. I'm just sayin'. I felt like he purposely omitted this bit of information because he didn't want to "ask if it was ok". After explaining this, he gave me his mantra "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission!"

So this is why my tag line on my blog is "Watch as I roll my eyes dramatically!" I so should have expected this response! Ah well, at least he had a good time. I think his "man'o'meter" was getting low.

6 Comments:

Blogger Contagion said...

Excuse me oh mistress of the misquote. The saying is, "It's EASIER to ask forgiveness then permssion."

Mental note, the next time I'm going to drag some friends home unplanned, I wont call and warn you. I'll just stick with the orriginal plan of "hanging out with the guys all day" and let you get caught off guard.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

hehehehehe.

We'll just have to put our heads together on Saturday! Don't forget. Breakfast at 10:00 shopping to follow.

:-)

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new mantra for you Ktreva - "Revenge is sweet."

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ogre said...

And yes, there is a BIG difference between "EASIER" and "BETTER." A HUGE difference...

10:09 AM  
Blogger Maranda Rites said...

At least your man calls to inform you of an invasion and lets you know where he's going. Mine just shows up with everyone and gets home whenever without calling as to where he is at any point.

3:27 PM  
Blogger The Thomas said...

One of my daughters away at college hinted at this story and suggested that I read it.

Oh to be young again.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home