Monday, March 06, 2006

Interview Part Deux

I spent a good portion of Sunday night preparing for today's presentation. I had to take a 47 page document and condense it into a fifteen minute presentation. I didn't realize how good I was at summarizing until I took this on. I saved it as a Word document, and emailed it to myself at work. I knew I wanted to make a power point out of it, however I don't have that program at home. Once I got to work this morning I transfered the Word document into a Power Point, made it look pretty and prepared for my 10:15 A.M. interview.

I tried to get the proxima and a lap top so that I could present the information on a big screen, makes a better impression that way, however there was a minor snafu...my interview changed from a large room to a small room where there was no access to a computer. No problem, I can adapt to change. I printed copies of the power point presentation and when the time came, handed them out to the individuals.

Crazy doesn't begin to describe how they acted during the presentation! Two people arrived on time, a third arrived coughing and hacking his lungs up (claiming bronchitus) and the forth, who was late, came barging in hollaring about how she was late. It took me a few minutes to realize they were role playing, but once I did, I did the best I think I could have given the shock to my system. You have to understand, I HATE the roleplaying portion of interviews, mainly because the people who have been chosen to "act up" can't be calmed down no matter what you do. They have it set in their heads that they aren't going to listen to a word anyone says, and regardless of the steps you take, they continue to do the same thing. I decided to try a different approach after several attempts to get them to listen was fruitless. I continued delivering my presentation, walked around to them and set a hand on each of their shoulders. I couldn't believe it, without saying a word they were quiet! I removed my hands and continued to stand there delivering the remaining portion of my presentation, and of course asked the obligatory "do you have any questions?".

I wish I could tell you it went well, but my fellow readers, this was TOUGH. I think I did O.K., I just have to hope like hell no one else does better. By far the hardest part for me was trying not to laugh! These people who were in on this presentation are all supervisors in my department. The only man in the room who was claiming to have bronchitus had his arm nearly ripped from his socket by Ms. Late To The Meeting, telling him that to cure coughs you have to put one arm over your head, to which he announced he was really glad he had put on deoderant that morning! I may have inadvertantly chuckled at bit at that, but quickly smoothed my face into a simple smirk. That was as good as I was going to get!

Anywho, I should know by the end of the week whether or not I got the position. They had one last interview today, and that person does her presentation on Wednesday. I was thinking of making brownies for her....with some ex lax....but I don't think I could stoop to that level. Oh hell, who am I kidding, YES.I.COULD! I won't, but I could!

7 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Sounds like you did well. You answered the role playing thing creatively and with class!

Fingers crossed!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, very good job :) Theres definately a reason I figured you'd be one of the top runners for this one :)

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! You did very well, but am not surprised. All the best!

LW

5:42 AM  
Blogger Ogre said...

See, this is why I don't work in such industries. I would have told them to shut the he!! up or get out. I'd have completely embarrassed the person who walked in late, too.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Tammi said...

You handled that perfectly. I train people for stuff like that and it's exactly what you should have done. And the smirk? Perfect.

That type of roleplaying is, well, painful doesn't cut it. When you went around and placed your hand on them....EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!! EXACTLY!!

I'm very proud of you. You done real good from the sound of it.

Now the wait. The very hardest part!! Thinkin' of you....

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sounds like you nailed it! I still have my fingers crossed for you and will be thinking of you all week! Good luck girl! and good job!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting... sort of a corporate Kobayashi Maru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home