Friday, February 29, 2008

I told you so...

An employee who is loyal, talented, works hard and at times even pulls off the impossible, is lauded by some of the colleagues, but does not seem to get the promotion. It is someone else who gets the raise and promotion and soon the person in question finds himself or herself working under a person who is nearly half of him or her in qualification, experience and talent, and even whose loyalty is questionable.


But today, I was vindicated.

The Upper Management in our office are inept, spineless and ineffective. They pretend to enforce the corporate standards, only to rescind it a week later because someone complained. I believe that some of it comes from the fact that raises for the Upper Management are based on a survey their employees take, so they're afraid to upset anyone because they might get a bad score and subsequently a crappy raise. There is no way to effectively manage employees if there is no respect.

During some feedback given to me, I was told that I "needed to work on how others perceive me." Apparently, someone was offended that I told them that they "Might want to sit down and start working." This person complained...and since management doesn't want anyone to be upset, they had to make sure that I knew I was not a Supervisor and therefore should not be providing this kind of feedback. Never mind that this statement came from a person who had been repeatedly warned to sit down and do their job.

From that day forth, I sat down, shut my mouth and ignored all of the abuse around me. I began pretending that I was happy in my job. I would smile and say all the things that were expected, all the while gritting my teeth so hard that my jaw would hurt. I worked hard, met or exceeded the expectations for any goal that was given to me, and played the office politics....but no matter what I was passed over for promotions time and time again. Each time I was not selected for a promotion, I was given feedback like "Be more of a team player" and "Perhaps you should ask for assistance when you need it."

Needless to say, I have been feeling really disgruntled for a while. Coming home stressed and exhausted day after day, I began snapping at the family. I needed a change, and bad.

In November, I applied for yet another position within my corporation, but this time the department I was applying to was located in Chicago. I had my first interview in December and was called back for a second interview at the end of January. Never before have I received the type of comments given during the second interview process. One of the interviewers stated to me point blank "I have been with this corporation for 17 years, and this is the best interview I have ever had the opportunity to conduct."

Today, they offered me the job. Beginning March 17th, I no longer report to the local management.

Now the management who kept telling me how much I needed to change is freaking out. All of the goals for them this year were based on the fact that I was going to be training my peers....and now I'm leaving. I'd like to think that maybe they have learned a lesson and stop taking things for granted, but I doubt it.

I'd like to end with a couple of quotes that express how I feel today:

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."Aldous Huxley


"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him."David Brinkley

"Success in almost any field depends more on energy and drive than it does on intelligence. This explains why we have so many stupid leaders."Sloan Wilson


UPDATE:

I might have forgotten to mention that although my new management is based out of Chicago, I will still be able to work out of the Rockford office!!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Good for you!

I know you've been miserable working for those farging idiots & it's great that you're getting the f**k away from 'em, whilst freaking them out at the same time! Congrats on the new job! :-)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Petey said...

Congrats on the new job.

Glad you are getting out of the pit you have been in.

Been there myself. "Ask for assistance." Then when I ask to learn something new or try to expand responsibilities, no one can do anything.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and it's about damned time :) Are they going to let you work from afar or is there likely a move in the cards?

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red says:
We are women hear us roar! Glad to hear you got the job. Guess this means you won't be moving to Montana?

8:12 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Congratulations! I'm glad someone actually appreciates what you know and how you conduct yourself - that's terrific.

See, all along it wasn't you, it was them. Of course they were very happy to keep using you and it will be just excellent fun to watch what happens once you're working for the other peeps and they keep trying to call on you for help with all the stuff you used to do.

I want to hear all about how you tell them - sorry, can't help you. *grin*

2:38 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

You forgot another really appropriate quote.

"Kiss my rosy red ass, bitch!"

:-)

I'm so proud of you!! WooHoo!!!

4:18 PM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Congratulations!!! :)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Bruce Wayne said...

Goes without saying but CONGRATS!!

Bout time and now you can stop beating Contagion in the not so fun way every day when you get home from work!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Congratulations!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Richmond said...

That's WONDERFUL!! Congratulations!!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

We all dream of a good ole "up yours!" moment, and you got one!

Woo hoo!

7:01 PM  
Blogger ma content said...

Congratulations!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! And so much better that you get to STAY THERE AND ABUSE YOUR FORMER ASSOCIATES with your new position. I cannot wait to enjoy the sarcasm you distribute.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Omnibabe said...

Yeah, well... if you ever have to come into the City for a meeting, let me know. Cocktails?

(And heartiest of congrats!)

3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on giving the FSU "The BIG ONE". It's wonderful having you join our neighborhood.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some thing you could have said to former bosses
1) The crap that was passed to me i now hand back.
2) Next time you have a good employee, show respect and you might keep them.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home