Monday, January 30, 2006

It's only the nerves

There is a big promotion coming open at work...and I WANT IT!!! I know I can do this job, and I've already come up with several ideas to make it flow more smoothly and timely. I have all of the skills necessary for it, and it's what I want to do. There is only one problem...I am not the best interviewer.

Having an interview is like taking a test...I freeze up and totally forget what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. It would be easier on me if the interview was multiple choice, ya know, with multiple choice you get a visual reminder of your answer. I need visual aides sometimes. I am already working on a packet that I intend to distribute to the interviewers showing my current job and how it will relate to the promotion, along with some other stuff. All that will be fine and dandy, but if I freeze up.....

I have no problem speaking in front of large groups of people, or in front of small groups, but with an interview, I know they are judging me and it affects my future...and that makes me incredibly nervous. I hate knowing I am being judged, if someone develops an opinion of me while I am giving a presentation, it doesn't bother me because I normally don't notice. Does anyone have any advice to assist me?? I need to nip this thing in the bud before I develop an ulcer!

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

try this...

http://www.yogasite.com/pranayama.htm

4:57 PM  
Blogger Maranda Rites said...

Some advice that I have been told that comes to mind:

1. Have a mock interview prior to the real thing. Have Contagion or a friend grill you with hard hitting questions regarding your credentials, personal questions, why you want this position and how you feel that you are the best person for this position.

2. Get a good night's rest the night before.

3. Take a hot bath in Epsom Salts, the morning of the real interview. It helps relax tense muscles.

4. Go into the interview, confident and prepared. Do you need to bring a resume with all your credentials on it? What you have currently been doing for the company in your position. Any recommendations from your current boss/co-workers for the new position.

5. Try to picture your interviewer in their undies. I've been told this helps ease your mind and nerves. It may also give you a good laugh afterwards, especially if it's a woman or a not very good looking man :)

6. Remember to smile.

Good luck getting that promotion!

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretend the interview is just a presentation. Because technically it is. It is an internal interview and if you treat it like a presentation of your ideas and yourself, then they will also be more comfortable. Good luck girl!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

You will do fine. Like Oddybobo said - just pretent it's a presentation. To a small group.

I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!! Lots of luck sweetie!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. considering they keep turning me down for stuff I probably shouldn't give interviewing advice hehehe

7:08 PM  
Blogger Richmond said...

I just know you will be wonderful! I know from experience that you are warm, welcoming, funny, and smart.

If nothing else, just take 2 deep breaths between each answer (my owm cure for nervous babbling) and picture everyone naked. :)

You're going to be great! :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ogre said...

You're qualified? You have the skills? You can do the job?

No, that will never do. You would do the job too well, I'm sorry, but they will be needing someone much less competent for this position...

:)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Omnibabe said...

Remember that you are interviewing them, too. Make a list of questions you want answered, and take those with you, too.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Considering I've had almost exactly the same interview twice in about a months time I can tell you what questions they're probably going to ask tho :P hehehe

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home