Sunday, February 18, 2007

Well alrighty then

I love babies. I enjoy baby showers. I have always given more than I probably should as a gift to the expecting Mother.

Why is it that I have no desire to attend the baby shower that I was LITERALLY begged to go to? Perhaps it's because it's for a person whom I've never met. Maybe it's because this person is pregnant for the third time. It might even be that she is only 22 years old.

After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that it's all of the above, and then some. I don't want to go, and I don't want to give a gift because the entire situation has an unpleasant smell. We are talking about someone who already has a 6 year old by one man, a 3 year old by another, and is now pregnant with her 3rd child by a third man.

I am trying NOT to judge...I understand that sometimes things happen, and you have to make the best of it, but I can't believe that "this time" it's true love. I think that she is going to take everything she can get and give nothing back.

I'll let you all know how this pans out.

UPDATE:
What an interesting afternoon. The expecting Mother arrived with her mother (who looked and ACTED like Rosanne Barr) and aunt. There were approximately 35 people there (most from both sides of the Father's family) and the three of them spoke to no one but each other unless forced to.

Everyone filled out an envelope with their name and address on it so the Mom-To-Be would only have to write out the Thank You cards and put them in the envelope. When she was given the cards and envelopes, she stated "Oh! Gee....thanks...." and promptly set them aside.

She gave no "Thanks" to the group as a whole. She gave no "Thanks" to the person who hosted the shower. There was complaining about the food choices. There was irritation because more than one container of baby lotion was received. There were comments made that were inappropriate about the baby's father in front of his mother, and in general the entire shower had a sense of segregation.

Maybe I'm being too harsh and critical, and I would welcome anyone who has another opinion of the situation. Perhaps another view will help me to understand....make me see things differently...but I doubt it!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope... not you. I might have walked out if I had been there. Rude people don't deserve polite behavior.

The "non-judgmental" attitude that we're all supposed to have about girls like this, makes it all worse. It makes people with standards of behavior, feel guilty because they're looking at a loser who is using them for their own gain. Nothing is more irritating than feeling like you've been used.

You should've gone with your first instinct and stayed home. Bummer.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Omnibabe said...

Next time save your money and save your sanity -- don't go. As far as I'm concerned, unless it's the child of a CLOSE co-worker/pal, they were incredibly presumptuous to guilt you into going in the first place.

You owe people like this exactly nothing, my friend.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack!!!! Number 3578 why I hate going to baby showers...

You are *not* being too harsh and critical - it was a piss poor situation.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Your insticts were spot on, and Teresa, Omnibus Driver, and Richmond are absolutely right.

What an ungrateful, manipulative, rude little beotch she is!

Judgemental? Yes, and that's OKAY, because I'm judging her by the way she acted towards the people who got together to throw her a shower!

Maybe if somebody'd been a little judgemental about her behavior when she was younger, she wouldn't have a third little life to screw up now.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that baby showers were supposed to be for first babies only.

I'm guessing the theory is that you'll still have leftovers from the shower when you have the 2nd kid?

Anyway, I can't believe anyone would complain about a second bottle of baby lotion. It's not like it won't get used.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have all chipped in and bought her a voucher for a free hysterectomy.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Consul-At-Arms said...

One word is conspicuously absent in this tale, and that's how the father is never referred to as the young lady's husband.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home