Monday, January 16, 2006

Wonka vs. Wonka

There is an ongoing debate in the household that I’m afraid I might lose, so I thought I would present my side of the argument and see what everyone else thinks.

My husband and eldest boy announced to me about a week ago that the original “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” is a must better version than the new adaptation staring Johnny Depp. I totally disagree; I enjoyed the new version SO MUCH MORE than the original! The songs are better, the acting is better and the storyline is much darker. Besides, having Johnny Depp in it is an added bonus for me.

In the original, the Oompa Loompa’s are SCARY AS HELL! Little orange men with green hair scared the piss out of me when I was a kid (not much has changed my opinion of them, they are still scary). The new version of the Oompa Loompa’s are really very funny. It’s the same guy in 98578973 different costumes filmed a bazillion times! But we can’t forget Gene Wilder, marvelous man. I appreciate several of his movies, such as “Young Frankenstein” and “Blazing Saddles” both of which I truly adore. I think that Johnny Depp pulled off the disturbed chocolatier much better. The small looks he would give the other characters when they weren’t looking and his childlike innocence at the same time made for a much better Willy Wonka.

Anywho…give me your feedback, good or bad. This is obviously just my opinion, but I feel the need to force it on everyone!

16 Comments:

Blogger Richmond said...

I must admit, I resisted the "new" Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I loved the Gene Wilder version so much! We did *not* go and see it in the theatre, and I even resisted renting it. My girls really wanted to see it, though, so we finally watched it.

It was wonderful!

For once, the new one is better, IMO. Like you said, better acting, the writing/story were greatly improved, and the soundtrack rocked. I loved it! We all did...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Journey said...

Uh, my son hated both... I liked the earlier version because it was less dark and more fun. It all depends on taste. The only reason I watched the whole thing was because of Depp and he was good in it. But it was too scary for my son to even finish.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Wes said...

Hey Ktreva, welcome to the dark side! :^)

Now I've got to see the Johnny Depp version. I find it hard to believe that it's better than the Gene Wilder one, but I guess I have to check it out to be *fair*.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently taken the "Pepsi Challenge" with bith versions, and found the elder wanting. It's not the Oompa Loompa's that make the differenc efor me, but the acting of the main character. Depp's version is (without a doubt) much darker, but it seems to describe the essence of him much better.

In My honest Opinion... The latest version is much "More Gooder".

10:21 PM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

I too believe the new version to be more gooder in every regard. And you know how much I love Gene Wilder.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

love love love the old one.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love both. They each did something different for me!!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Contagion said...

The orriginal was the better one. I know a lot of people say the remake is more true to the book... well I never read the book, so I don't care. I think Wilder did a better job of portraying Wonka. The orriginal Oompa Loompas were better, and so where the orriginal songs.

Plus the only reason Depp is creepier/darker is because they did his makeup to make him look like Michael Jackson.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

I liked Depp's version, since I read the book several times as a youth, and the new film did a better job of bringing it to life.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the old version if only because of Gene Wilder.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I haven't seen the new one, man am I lame or WHAT!! I do like the old one though.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sir Christopher said...

I liked them both though I like the newer ones ending and the closure with his dad.

1:02 PM  
Blogger littlejoe said...

Two words....GLASS ELEVATOR!

That was enough to win me over to the second one.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're different. THe first has it's moments of sheer greatness, the second captures more of the darkness of Dahl's original book. Comparing them to another is like comparing a picture I took of a tree to a picture another person took of a tree. Different perspectives on the same subject.

Oh, and I want an oompa loompah.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! The squirrels just pushed Og down the garbage shoot! :-)

10:30 AM  
Blogger TNT said...

Absolutely the original is the best. I HATED the new oompah loompahs! Or should say singular. That was computerized animation in all its wrong usage. The original movies had much better songs, too.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home